GeneMapper® ID-X v1.5 Software FAQs
GeneMapper® ID-X v1.5 Software Questions
As the newest version of our powerful genotyping software for forensic casework and reference sample data analysis, GeneMapper® ID-X v1.5 helps reduce manual effort in database uploading and offers better integration capabilities with third-party systems. Features include:
|Microsoft® Windows® 7, 64-bit compatibility||Supports popular IT upgrade|
|Automated key software operations||Helps reduce time and effort needed to transfer data to laboratory information management systems (LIMS) through automated export of individual sample plot PDFs and ability to create and split projects.|
|Support CODIS CMF v3.2 (R13) specification||Helps reduce manual labor and transcription errors between GeneMapper® ID-X and CODIS upload|
|Enhanced contamination assessment functionality||Helps enable a robust reference check with less effort through the ability to import legacy reference profiles and export comparison results for further data analysis and reporting.|
- Updated default Panels & Bins
- Incorporated GlobalFiler® Population Database
Recommended system configuration:
Intel® Core™ i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz or newer
8 GB RAM
10 GB available on boot drive
10/100 NIC with RWU (internal) or above installed
Supported operating systems:
- Windows® 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Each existing ID-X installation requires an Upgrade Kit (1:1 relationship). For example, if the lab has 1 Full and 10 Client installations, they will need 1 Full Upgrade and 10 Client Upgrade Kits. To successfully install and launch the upgrade, you need to enter the previous registration code shipped with the original, fresh GeneMapper® ID-X installation kit and the new registration code shipped with the Upgrade Kit. Laboratories should run their own internal studies to confirm the performance of the software and if necessary, validate the optimal analysis parameters for their laboratory’s protocols.
Yes, GeneMapper® ID-X software can analyze .fsa and .hid files generated from all Applied Biosystems genetic analyzers, all AmpFℓSTR® and GlobalFiler® PCR Amplification Kits as well as projects created using previous versions of GeneMapper® ID-X Genotyping Software.
There is no upgrade pathway from GeneMapper® ID to GeneMapper® ID-X v1.5. To start running GeneMapper® ID-X v1.5 software, you will need at least 1 Full Install version. To minimize the implementation and validation burden, GeneMapper® ID-X software utilizes the same trusted and validated features and functionality of GeneMapper® ID, with the addition of a set of features that specifically support the human identification (HID) data analysis workflow and the latest computer requirements of many laboratories. These features include:
– An advanced set of data analysis and sample review tools:
- Comprehensive quality value system that can be optimized and validated for use in both Expert System and traditional data analysis workflows to identify anomalies, flag samples and controls for review, and greatly reduce the amount of analysis time required.
- Integrated profile comparison, mixture analysis, and statistical calculation functionality that enables streamlined, consistent data analysis and interpretation of single source and mixed DNA samples.
– Configurable electronic data chain-of-custody and auditing functionality that includes tracking changes to data, user authentication, controlled user access, and audit history reports that support the peer/technical review process.
– Support for data generated from HID genotyping applications on all currently available Applied Biosystems® capillary electrophoresis instruments, including the 3500 series Genetic Analyzers.
– Multi-user centralized database configuration for better data sharing and storage. The most recent version incorporates Oracle® 11g Release 2, which represents the latest technology designed to maximize compatibility with current operating systems and offer superior performance compared to the database found in GeneMapper® ID-X.
– Compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 7 Professional Operating System (OS) on 64-bit systems.
Some laboratories use a step-wise approach to implementing GeneMapper® ID-X software in their labs, first implementing the use of the fragment analysis functionality followed by the optimization and validation of the Expert System (for single source samples) or Expert Assistant (for casework samples) functionality into their workflow. Laboratories should run their own internal studies to confirm the performance of the software and, if necessary, validate the optimal analysis parameters for their protocols.
We encourage you to upgrade to v1.5 which offers improved efficiency and productivity. Please note that GeneMapper® ID v3.2, GeneMapper® ID-X v1.1, and 1.2 will be discontinued at the end of 2015.
By utilizing the automated, rule-based, subject-specific knowledge on which an expert system is based, much of the analysis process can be simplified, empowering you to make key interpretation decisions more quickly, confidently, and consistently. By leveraging the expert system functionality in GeneMapper® ID-X as well as the integrated mixture analysis tool, you can quickly assess controls and QC data, and easily review and edit single source, routine, and process mixed samples more efficiently, with maximum consistency and reproducibility.
The Mixture Analysis tool is fully integrated within the GeneMapper® ID-X software and is accessible via the Tools menu. The Mixture Analysis tool performs the following functions:
- Identifies samples within the GeneMapper® ID-X project that are eligible for Mixture Analysis. Samples are assessed according to sample type, analysis status, and allele label status.
- Categorizes and segregates eligible samples by the minimum number of contributors contained in each sample (1, 2, or 3 or more contributors).
- Extracts and separates contributor profiles into individual major and minor genotype combinations for all markers present. (2 contributors only.)
- Filters known profiles from selected sample profiles (2 contributors only).
- Calculates statistics using population databases stored within the software.
The Mixture Analysis tool extracts all possible genotype combinations from detected peaks at each locus and utilizes heterozygote peak height ratio and a measure of mixture proportion to evaluate each genotype combination.
You will be able to define the Mixture Interpretation Threshold (MIT) used to filter peaks which meet your criteria for mixture interpretation and the peak height ratio thresholds applied to peaks falling within specific peak height ranges. The residual value used to evaluate the fit to expected mixture proportion is set within the software and cannot be changed by the user. Mixture analysis methods may be defined that correspond to the interpretation criteria developed by your laboratory, based on your internal validation studies.
The GeneMapper® ID-X Software v1.5 Mixture Analysis tool only extracts individual contributors from mixtures containing 2 contributors, which represent a high proportion of the mixtures encountered by forensic laboratories. However, statistical calculations can be performed on mixtures containing 3 or more contributors.
The available statistical calculations depend on the number of contributors contained within the sample. The software will calculate the following:
- Likelihood Ratio (LR): For samples categorized as containing 1 or 2 contributors
- Random Match Probability (RMP): for samples categorized as single source and for each contributor extracted from a 2 person mixture
- Combined Probability of Inclusion/Exclusion (CPI/CPE): for samples categorized as containing 2 and 3 or more contributors
Yes, all results are exportable in .csv format.
Yes. Three population databases are provided with the GeneMapper® ID-X v1.5 software for use with the Mixture Analysis tool, but full instructions on how to create and import custom databases are provided in the GeneMapper® ID-X Software Help.
Comprehensive information regarding the functions performed in the Mixture Analysis tool are available in the GeneMapper®ID-X Software Help installed with the software. Two additional documents, the GeneMapper® ID-X Software v1.5 Getting Started Guide and the GeneMapper® ID-X Software v1.5 Quick Reference Guide will also be provided with the software. If you are interested in a demo version of the software, contact your account manager.
The number of clients connected per database could impact the speed of the system and is dependent on variables such as individual laboratory network performance and laboratory workflow. Initial evaluations performed by Applied Biosystems indicated no dramatic degradation in speed of operation when 96 samples were analyzed simultaneously by 10 clients connected to a single database. Each laboratory can use this as general guidance and determine the appropriate number of clients to ensure flexibility of operation, while maintaining an acceptable speed of operation for their particular laboratory environment.
For Research, Forensic, or Paternity Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
All trademarks are the property of Thermo Fisher Scientific and its subsidiaries unless otherwise specified. Windows and Microsoft are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.