Single Cell Analysis
It was once assumed that cell populations were homogeneous, but the latest evidence shows that heterogeneity does in fact exist even within small cell populations. Gene expression measurements based on the homogenized cell population are misleading averages and don't account for the small but critical changes occurring in individual cells. Individual cells can differ dramatically in size, protein levels, and expressed RNA transcripts, and these variations are key to answering previously irresolvable questions in cancer research, stem cell biology, immunology, developmental biology, and neurology.
Life Technologies, an established leader in cell and molecular biology, is empowering single-cell researchers. We offer analysis tools that can be used throughout various single-cell workflows for cellular biologists and researchers doing the wide spectrum of basic, translational, and clinical research.
Single cell analysis can enable you to:
- Unlock the mystery in gene expression profiles between individual cells
- Avoid the mistake of taking averages of entire cell populations
- Discover previously undetected subpopulations and unveil new regulatory path
Click here to view our newest app note on single cell analysis
A key single cell analysis application is gene expression
Life Technologies has proven workflows using these products for single cell gene expression:
- Ambion® Single Cell-to-CT™ Kit
- Guaranteed TaqMan® Assays
- QuantStudio™ 12K Flex Real-Time PCR System
Figure 1. Single Cell-to-CTTM real-time PCR workflow.
Click here to download an application note on single cell gene expression heterogeneity
Other applications that are of high interest for single cell analysis
Rare cells or events
Scarce, precious sample
Single-cell precision in populations
Recommended products for single cell analysis
Webinars & videos
Webinar: Analyzing expression profiles from Single Cell-to-Ct™ kit
|Video: Less time to real-time PCR with Ambion® Cells-to-CT™ kits
Traditionally the first step in real-time PCR is to isolate the RNA. This isolation step can require significant time and involve multiple handling steps—and a risk of sample loss. Ambion® Cells-to-CT™ kits provide a simple and rapid method for preparing cell lysates.
- Learn more about rare-target detection from single cells
- Learn more about an optimized gene expression workflow for single cells
- What is single cell analysis and why study it?
- Biocompare—the buyers guide for life scientists