Algae Expression & Engineering Products to Enhance Your Results
GeneArt® Algae Expression and Engineering Kits Chlamydomonas reinhardtii 137c and Synechococcus elongatus PPC 7942 are the first commercially available genetic modification and expression systems for photosynthetic microalgae. Our most recent GeneArt® kits for algae are optimized for high levels of protein expression with dual protein tags for detection and purification as well as selection against gene silencing often seen in Chlamydomonas. In contrast, our first-generation algal kits are designed to deliver flexible genetic engineering options to produce algae for applications that are hindered by strong expression, such as pathway engineering and complementation of mutant genes normally expressed at low levels, not expression of large quantities of protein.
- Express up to 10% total soluble protein of your gene of interest
- Select against gene silencing in Chlamydomonas, even over multiple passages
- Detect and purify your gene of interest with 6His TEV and/or V5-His epitope tags
- Preserve Chlamydomonas and Chlorella strains and clones for –80°C storage
- Eliminate liquid nitrogen storage
- Avoid contamination and genetic drift that typically occur in continuous cultures
- Obtain ≥100-fold increase in transformation efficiencies with Chlamydomonas strains
Two algae strains for maximum versatility
Chlamydomonas reinhardtii 137c and Synechococcus elongatus PCC 7942 are model algal organisms for the study of photosynthesis, plant biology, lipid metabolism, and more. They also serve as bioproduction platforms for biofuels, nutraceuticals, and specialty chemicals.
Chlamydomonas reinhardtii 137c
Synechococcus elongatus PCC 7942
Get transformed cells more quickly
MAX Efficiency® Transformation Reagent for Algae is a buffer that enhances transformation efficiency for multiple strains of Chlamydomonas species.
- Cells are ready for transformation typically in less than 5 days with field-tested resuscitation and growth protocols
- GeneArt® vectors facilitate rapid directional cloning of synthetic genes or PCR products for engineering and expression in GeneArt® strains
- Gibco® TAP Growth Media and BG-11 Growth Media are optimized for Chlamydomonas reinhardtii and Cyanobacteria, respectively, and is provided at 1X concentration which means no more time-consuming media preparation
A better solution for long-term algae storage
The GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae can be used to preserve algal strains and clones for storage at –80°C for years, thus eliminating liquid nitrogen storage and continuous cultures as a way to maintain your clones. Cryopreservation is the optimal choice for preservation and long-term storage of algae since it minimizes genetic drift, facilitates strain and clone exchange between labs, and reduces maintenance labor and costs.
Fresh Chlamydomonas culture (blue) grown in TAP growth medium and Chlamydomonas cultures previously frozen (green and red lines) using the GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae and resuscitated in TAP growth medium following the manufacturer’s recommendations were monitored at OD750 over an 80-hour period (50 µE, 24°C, 110 rpm shaker). Growth was consistent under all three conditions, demonstrating the utility of the GeneArt® Cryopreservation Kit for Algae to freeze and resuscitate Chlamydomonas cells. Similar results were observed with Chlorella (wild type and transformants, data not shown).
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.