NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate Gels are precast polyacrylamide gels designed to give optimal separation of large molecular weight proteins during gel electrophoresis when used with NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate SDS Running Buffer. NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels can also be run with Novex® Tris-Glycine Native Running Buffer to resolve native proteins more effectively than the Tris-Glycine gel system. In comparison to traditional Tris-glycine SDS-PAGE gels, NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels have a pH 8.1 environment that minimizes protein modifications and results in sharper bands.
NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate Gels and buffers are designed to allow:
- Separation of a wide range of molecular weight proteins
- Preservation of protein sample integrity using optimized sample preparation processes
- A longer shelf life with more convenient storage options (8 months at 4º C without loss of performance)
- Using gels from another company? Use our product selection guide to find the Life equivalent!
Getting Started with NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate Gels
Get optimal separation of your proteins by choosing the right combination of gel and running buffer. Here is brief summary of the available configurations. See “Choose the Right NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate Gel” above to get the specific product ordering information.
NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate Gels are available in 2 different polyacrylamide concentrations: 7% and 3-8% gradient. We also offer 8% gels in the midi gel format.
NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate Gels are available in different two sizes: mini gels (10 cm x 10 cm) and midi gels (8.7 cm x 13.3 cm). Both mini gels and midi gels are available with 1.0 mm gel thickness but the 1.5 mm gel thickness is available only with the mini gel format. NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate gels also come in multiple-well formats.
Use NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate Gels with NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate SDS Running Buffer to resolve high molecular weight proteins (36–400 kDa) under denaturing conditions, or with Novex® Tris-Glycine Native Running Buffer to resolve high molecular weight proteins under non-denaturing (native) conditions.
The NuPAGE® Tris-Acetate discontinuous buffer system involves three ions:
- Acetate (–) from the gel buffer and serves as a leading ion due to its high affinity to the anode relative to other anions in the system. The gel buffer ions are Tris+ and Acetate– (pH 7.0).
- Tricine (–) from the running buffer serves as the trailing ion. The running buffer ions are Tris+, Tricine–, and dodecylsulfate– (pH 8.3).
- Tris (+) is the common ion present in the gel buffer and running buffer. The Tris-Acetate system also operates at a significantly lower operating pH of 8.1 during electrophoresis.
NuPAGE® Green Benefits
The green features of NuPAGE® SDS-PAGE Gel products include:
- No expanded polystyrene (EPS) coolers
- Less energy to produce & less waste
To learn more, download the NuPAGE® Precast Gels Green Features Fact Sheet
Resources for NuPAGE® Bis-Tris Gels
- Novex® Pre-Cast Gel Electrophoresis Guide—General information and protocols for using Novex® pre-cast gels
- NuPAGE® Technical Guide—General information and protocols for using the NuPAGE® electrophoresis system
- NuPAGE® Technical Publication—Models of protein modification in Tris-glycine and neutral pH Bis-Tris gels during electrophoresis: effect of gel pH
- NuPAGE® Application Note—Novex® NuPAGE® Bis-Tris Electrophoresis System: Performance comparison with the Bio-Rad® Mini-PROTEAN® TGX™ System
- NuPAGE® Technical Note—Better Separation, Better Results – The NuPAGE® Bis-Tris Gel System