High-Content Screening (HCS)
High-content screening (HCS) or high-content analysis (HCA) describes a set of analytical methods using automated microscopy, multi-parameter image processing, and visualization tools to extract quantitative data from cell populations. HCS typically employs fluorescence imaging of samples in a high-throughput format and reports quantitatively on parameters such as spatial distribution of targets and individual cell and organelle morphology. Thermo Scientific™ High-Content Analysis Products have directly impacted every segment of biological research into cellular and systems biology and drug discovery.
BPAE cells imaged using the CellInsight™ CX5 platform and stained with DAPI (blue), Alexa Fluor® 568 phalloidin (red), and Goat anti–mouse IgG (H+L) secondary antibody, Alexa Fluor® 488 conjugate (green).
HT1080 cell image acquired using an ArrayScan™ system and stained with DAPI (blue), Alexa Fluor® 555 phalloidin (red), and anti-tubulin and Alexa Fluor® 647 goat anti–mouse IgG (green).
HCA reagent selection guides
Drawing on decades of experience in fluorescence imaging, Molecular Probes® HCS products are developed using Thermo Scientific™ High-Content Platforms with special considerations for the high-throughput workflow and automated imaging:
- Cell and nuclear masks for automated demarcation
- Robust functional probes for cell health interrogation
- Flexible assay workflow for automated processing
- Broad fluorophore choice for easy multiplexing
- Validated on multiple imaging platforms
Select from the reagents optimized for use with your HCA platform:
Other cell structure and segmentation tools
Clear identification of cell and nuclear boundaries in automated imaging requires fiducial markers that will label cellular structures robustly and reproducibly. Cell masks are designed specifically for automated imaging. Molecular Probes® cell structure labels are widely used in microscope imaging and HCS.
Other cell health and cytotoxicity assays
We offer a diverse selection of imaging and microscopy assays for the analysis of cell viability, proliferation apoptosis, cell cycle and DNA repair, migration, adhesion and other cellular functions. Many of these assays have been validated specifically for HCS platforms.
Browse cell health and cytotoxicity assays by application:
- Elucidating the Mechanism of Cell Death Through the use of High Content Analysis
- Oxidative Stress Measurements Made Easy: CellROX® Reagents with Simple Workflow for High Content Imaging
- High Content Cell Cycle Screening: Pairing FUCCI Technology with Thermo Scientific™ HCS Studio™ 2.0 Software and FCS Express Image Cytometry
- Using a High Content Analysis Database as a Repository for Data
- Multiplexed Mitosis and Apoptosis Analysis
- Monitoring Neurite Morphology and Synapse Formation in Primary Neurons for Neurotoxicity Assessments and Drug Screening
- Optimizing the high content analysis of cell morphology using multi-dimensional imaging on the Thermo Scientific™ ArrayScan™ XTI HCA Reader – Part 1 Stem Cell Colonies
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.