Ion Torrent Next-Generation Sequencing RNA-Seq
See the clear picture
Reveal the diversity and subtleties
of the transcriptome with Ion RNA-Seq
Dr. Andy Felton, Senior Director of Product Management at Ion Torrent describes Ion Torrent’s RNA-Seq technology and advantages over microarrays.
Fast and simple RNA sequencing
The Ion PGM™ Sequencer puts RNA-Seq within reach of any lab, providing a fast, affordable, easy-to-use system for expression analysis of miRNA and mRNA. Offering better sensitivity, the Ion PGM™ Sequencer generates data superior to that obtained using microarrays—for a comparable price.
Ion RNA-Seq surpasses microarrays as a tool for expression analysis by offering:
- Superior sensitivity to detect more transcripts and subtle changes in gene expression
- Discrimination between transcripts from closely related genes or those that result from alternative splicing or processing
- Sequence information that enables the detection of novel and fusion transcripts
- Digital output enabling results to be compared over time and between studies and labs
- Close correlation to TaqMan® assays
Ion semiconductor sequencing on the Ion PGM™ System offers:
|Ion Chip||Verified library reads (from Torrent Server)||Total aligned reads||Reads aligned to RefSeq||Reads aligned to miRBase|
The numbers in this table give a general idea of what can be expected from the different chips using the data analysis pipeline described in the Ion RNA-Seq FAQ found on the Ion Community. The expected number of reads that align to a reference varies with the quality of the library, the template preparation and enrichment, the loading of the chip, the quality of the sequencing run itself, the mapping pipeline, and the reference to which alignment is performed.
Simplicity• Easy library construction with automation-friendly magnetic bead cleanup
• No gel size selection needed for small RNA libraries
• Intuitive data analysis solutions familiar to microarray users
Scalability• 3 Ion Chips allow changing the number of reads by changing the chip
• 16 barcodes for sample multiplexing
• 35- to 200-base read length for sequencing microRNA or mRNA
Speed• Library construction in less than 6 hours
• Sequence in as little as 1 hour for small RNAs and 2.5 hours for mRNAs
Ion RNA-Seq Workflow
For Research Use Only. Not intended for any animal or human therapeutic or diagnostic use. The content provided herein may relate to products that have not been officially released and is subject to change without notice.