On-Site Temperature Verification Service
Frequent verification of your thermal cyclers helps assess the accuracy and uniformity of the PCR block. This helps ensure that you obtain the optimal performance level from your PCR instrument, and have the necessary performance documentation for accreditation.
Proper care of your PCR system, including twice-yearly temperature verification, can help:
- Save you from unexpected PCR instrument downtime
- Minimize downstream sequencing costs
- Preserve valuable samples that could be lost due to inaccurate readings
Top 5 reasons why you should measure thermal cycler temperature
The Multiplex Dynamic Temperature Verification (MDTV) and Multiplex Dynamic Temperature Measurement (MDTM) services are designed to deliver fast, accurate readings of temperature on your PCR unit. These valuable services are available for Applied Biosystems® instruments and now for most thermal cyclers from other manufacturers, so you can measure the temperatures of all of your PCR units at one convenient location.
Services include coverage for many of the instruments from the following manufacturers:
- MJ Research
- Thermo Scientific
- Automated measurement enables increased accuracy
- Environmental temperature distortions are eliminated
- Improved documentation, for easy detection of inaccurate temperature locations on your block
The MDTV and MDTM services provide more accurate readings and improved documentation from highly qualified and certified Life Technologies Field Service Engineers (FSEs), to help ensure that you have the highest confidence in your PCR system’s temperature.
The MDTV and MDTM services provide a comprehensive measurement of parameters, and increased data sampling resolution of 3 samples/second for 5 accuracy set points:
- Temperature accuracy
- Temperature uniformity
- Temperature stability
- Overshoot and undershoot
- Ramp rate (up and down)
The MDTV and MDTM measurement unit also has increased accuracy set points for critical PCR reaction temperatures (60°C, 72°C, and 95°C), as well as the flexibility to change set points for your validated protocols. This helps ensure that you are consistent with your regulatory requirements for PCR certification, eliminating the need to reoptimize your protocols.
The MDTV and MDTM services are more accurate than other temperature verification services or in-house tests because temperature verification is performed with the heated cover closed, just like a real cycle run. This helps eliminate environmental air flow, which may distort the thermal field.
To help meet your accreditation requirements, and for improved compliance management, the MDTV and MDTM services provides more detailed documentation than is available through other temperature verification services, or when performed in-house. Figure 1 shows a passing dynamic stability plot test; the 9 channels measure consistently throughout the run at the 60.0°C set point.
Figure 2 shows a failing dynamic stability plot; the 9 channels are consistently grouped across the y-axis, but the trend varies from -5° to +5° above the 85°C set point.
With each MDTV or MDTM service, an automated analysis and Certificate of Analysis report is provided. Each report contains dynamic plots for each run, referencing the original instrument specifications and tracing the national and international standards that will both satisfy regulatory standards for PCR certification and help meet internal quality control requirements. Multiple preformatted report options are also available that provide the flexibility to print either:
- Performs tests in less than 1 hour
- Measures 5 PCR units simultaneously
- Helps reduce instrument down-time
Unlike most methods that employ static temperature collection with a single probe, the MDTV and MDTM services use a 9-channel unit and rapid data collection system that enables up to 15-fold faster temperature verification.
With the multiplex measurement unit used in the MDTV and MDTM services, it takes less than 1 hour, from run time to printed results, to perform temperature verification on up to 5 PCR systems simultaneously.
This parallel processing allows you to move from days of downtime to only 1 hour, providing increased PCR instrument availability and improved efficiency in your lab.
Measure up to 5 thermal cyclers’ temperatures at once, in less than 1 hour— for both Applied Biosystems® PCR instruments and most thermal cyclers from other manufacturers with the convenience of one service provider.
MDTM available for the majority of thermal cyclers from the following manufacturers:
- MJ Research
- Thermo Scientific
- Helps save budget dollars on reagents
- Minimizes downstream sequencing costs
- More cost-effective than the DIY method
A temperature verification service helps provides assurance that your PCR unit is running optimally before you run your samples. This can potentially help save you thousands of dollars in additional reagent and sample costs that would be incurred to repeat runs on your system.
The MDTV and MDTM services offer the most accurate temperature verification information for your PCR instrument. You can have greater trust in your PCR results, minimizing downstream sequencing costs and preserving valuable sample.
With regularly scheduled on-site verifications, operating expenses can be planned and budgeted more effectively. You can save up to 50% on existing temperature verification services and DIY service options when you eliminate the significant expense related to maintaining a calibrated temperature verification tool. You can also perform temperature verifications on 5 or more units in a single field service visit.
|Type of thermal cycler||Cat. No.|
|Applied Biosystems® standard 96-well thermal cycler||4475315|
|Applied Biosystems® VeriFlex™ block and Veriti® 384-well thermal cyclers||4483074|
|Applied Biosystems® VeriFlex™ dual-block thermal cycler||4485439|
|Single-block thermal cycler from another manufacturer||4489184|
|Dual-block thermal cycler from another manufacturer||4489183|
The MDTV and MDTM services are available on all Applied Biosystems® PCR instruments, as well as most thermal cyclers from other manufacturers, offering the convenience of a single temperature measurement provider for all or most of the PCR instrumentation in your lab.
The MDTV service can be requested as a stand-alone service, added to a Life Technologies service contract, or provided along with a planned maintenance service. To add the MDTV service to an existing service contract or planned maintenance request, reference Cat. No. ZGVM.
For customers with fewer than 5 thermal cyclers, we will continue to support your temperature verification needs with our standard on-site temperature verification service.
Benefits of the on-site temperature verification service include:
- Quality service—using validated and verified test procedures, Life Technologies certified Field Service Engineers (FSEs) help ensure that the temperature verification of your instrument meets appropriate specifications
- Optimized lab efficiency—by performing temperature verification on site, our certified FSEs help you avoid the downtime associated with sending your instrument to a repair center, while also saving you from having to use valuable in-house technical resources
- Budget control—through regularly scheduled on-site verifications, operating expenses can be better planned and budgeted for, along with eliminating the expense related to maintaining a calibrated temperature verification tool
- Documentation—to help meet your compliance requirements, a certificate of temperature verification is provided
With on-site temperature verification, you receive:
- Sample block temperature accuracy verification at two temperatures
- Temperature non-uniformity verification, performed at two temperatures and 8 sample well locations
- A certificate of verification stating that your instrument’s temperature is working within appropriate specifications
Flexible Service Plan Options
To provide you with the proper level of support, we offer several options for Applied Biosystems® users. We offer the temperature verification service as part of our AB Assurance Service Plan, AB Repair Center, On-Site Planned Maintenance Service Plan, or as an value added service to supplement your in-house capabilities.
Availability of on-site temperature verification service
We offer the on-site temperature verification service as part of a preventive maintenance service call on the following Applied Biosystems® instruments:
Real-time qPCR instruments
- 7300 Real-Time PCR System
- 7500 Real-Time PCR System
- 7500 Fast Real-Time PCR System
- 7900 Fast Real-Time PCR System
- 7900HT Fast Real-Time PCR System
- StepOne™ Real-Time PCR System
- StepOnePlus™ Real-Time PCR System
- ViiA™ 7 Real-Time PCR System
- QuantStudio™ 6 Flex System
- QuantStudio™ 7 Flex System
- QuantStudio™ 12k Flex System
- QuantStudio™ 3D System
- Veriti® 60-Well Thermal Cycler
- Veriti® 96-Well/Fast Thermal Cycler
- Veriti® 384-Well Thermal Cycler
- 96 Well GeneAmp® PCR System 9700
- Dual 384-Well GeneAmp® PCR System 9700
- Auto-Lid Dual 384-Well GeneAmp® PCR System 9700
- 9800 Fast Thermal Cycler
- 2700 Thermal Cycler
- 2720 Thermal Cycler
- ProFlex™ 2 x 96-Well PCR System
- ProFlex™ 2 x Flat PCR System
For additional information on this service, please contact Life Technologies at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at 800.327.3002 (toll-free in US only).
For research use only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.